Saturday 1 October 2011

I know that when you start a blog you're meant to describe yourself and make yourself seem interesting to the whole world and so im going to ask a few questions to myself in the style of an interview to give a general idea of what I do outside of game designing.

What fiction book are you currently reading?
I am currently indulging myself into the vast series of Halo books and I am currently reading The Flood by Eric Nylund.

What non-fiction book are you currently reading?
I have just begun to read the ginormous book called Dave Perry on Game Design: A brainstorming Toolbox. Its really inspiring the way he uses small activities in order to inspire you to create a cluster of ideas.

What was the last live performance you have seen?
The last live performance I saw was In London and it was a show called Stomp. If you guys dont know what it is its about a bunch of people creating music with everyday object to create a complex and pleasent piece. They use broomsticks, matchboxes, pipes and various other items. It was very entertaining and I would recommend anyone go see that show.

What was the last film you saw?
The most recent film I saw was Cowboys and Aliens (2011) and it was pretty much a terrible film. Theres a reason why there hasn't been a mixture of cowboys and aliens in a film before, because it just doesnt work. This film proves that, and hopefully there will never be another film involving cowboys from the 1880's and aliens from the vast future again.

How often do I read the newspaper?
Not often but as I work in a petrol station that sells newspapers infront of the counter, I can pretty much read the headlines whenever I want. But to be honest most of my news updates come from online, as it is just relatively easier to sift through most of the garbage in the papers anyway. That being said, theres also heaps or unwanted garbage online too!

The last art gallery/exhibition/museum you went too?
The most recent exhibition I went too was the Eurogamer Expo in London 2011. Was pretty amazing the fact that you queue all day to play some game for 5 minutes and then you get booted off, literally. But one of my most favourite places I have recently been too was The National gallery in London. What an inspiration to become a traditional artist it is too! Although Walking around the Tate Modern 10 minutes before definitely helped. The comparison between the two means the National Gallery wins hands down. Most of the exhibitions in the Tate just dont even compare to the pure amount of effort that went into their final pieces. Literally breath taking artwork, I am yet to be stunned since.

How many hours a week do I spend playing video games?
About 2-3 hours a day maximum, more on weekends I must admit but truthfully about 21 hours a week, maximum!

How many hours a week do you spend playing games which are not digital?
In all fairness its just so much easier to pick up a controller and play a board game online which has instant multiplayer campabilities. No 'clearing' up the board after you have lost and been nominated to clear up for being the total loser. I just find board games to be that one step behind video games. BUT that being said, everyone loves cracking out a board game during the christmas holidays with the whole family. It just brings families closer together, or if you own a hotel on Mayfair, then maybe not...

Tom Sharman, signing off...

5 comments:

  1. Must just put in a defense of the Tate Modern, but only because it contains rothko, who looks just brilliant in that building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, but it cannot compare to the majority of the artwork in The National Gallery. However when I was there the artwork by Marcel Dzama was disturbing, but fascinating also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Perry on Games Design seems to really polarise the opinion of people who post book reviews on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a really good dip in source for quick ideas, lists of possible assets, etc.

    rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a book that I know, so I may have to have a flick through a copy in the library to see what might make some people give it four or five stars on Amazon, or just one.

    ReplyDelete